More About "The Dark Crystal: Age of Resistance" Books
Fans of The Dark Crystal: Age of Resistance can become further immersed in the lore, legends, heroes and villains of the expansive world of Thra with these new books! New fans can learn more about their favorite characters from the series, while longtime fans can delve further into the rich canon of this pop culture phenomenon, and everyone can discover the behind-the-scenes magic that brought the many creatures of Thra to life.
From Penguin Random House are three books by J.M. Lee, a staff writer on The Dark Crystal, Age of Resistance. Lee, who holds a degree in linguistics, also created the Podling language featured in the Netflix show.
New titles from Lee this season include:
- Heroes of the Resistance: A Guide to the Characters of The Dark Crystal: Age of Resistance. This visual character guide, featuring stunning full-color photos from the show, will have readers feeling as knowledgeable about the world of Thra and its inhabitants as the wise and all-knowing Aughra. Hardcover; MSRP $9.99; Ages 12+
- Aughra’s Wisdom of Thra. A 40-page companion gift book, with lush illustrations by artist Cory Godbey, that transports readers into the legends and lore of The Dark Crystal's expansive mythology. Aughra is a feisty three-and-a-half-foot creature with ram horns, a detachable eye, and secrets to an entire fantasy universe, who guides readers with wisdom beyond this realm and advice only she can give. Hardcover; MSRP $12.99; Ages 12+
- Shadows of The Dark Crystal. The acclaimed four-book prequel series, Shadows of the Dark Crystal, Song of the Dark Crystal, Tides of the Dark Crystal, and Flames of the Dark Crystal, dive into the culture of the Gelfling and how they work together across clans to resist the evil Skeksis. Flames of the Dark Crystal is newly available in paperback and Illustrated by Cory Godbey. Paperback; MSRP $9.99; Ages 12+
Lee is the author of a four-book prequel series that ties directly into the plot and setting for the Netflix series, as well as several other Dark Crystal tie-ins. The novels came about after Lee won a writing contest co-hosted by Penguin and The Jim Henson Company—The Dark Crystal Author Quest.
- From Insight Editions is The Dark Crystal: Age of Resistance; Inside the Epic Return to Thra. Written by Daniel Wallace, with a foreward by executive producer Lisa Henson.
This book reveals the incredible creative process behind the new series—how Jim Henson’s Creature Shop, legendary character and costume designer Brian Froud, and director Louis Leterrier brought Thra and its characters to life alongside the many artists and puppeteers who are continuing the legacy of the original film.
Filled with exclusive cast and crew interviews, concept art, set photography, puppet designs and more, this is the definitive exploration of The Jim Henson Company’s epic return to Thra. MSRP; $50.00; All ages.
Availability: IndieBound, Barnes & Noble, and Amazon.
More About "The Dark Crystal: Age of Resistance" Comics
For comic book fans, from Boom! Studios is Jim Henson’s The Dark Crystal: Age of Resistance, a 12-issue official prequel to the Netflix series.
Return to another world, another time, Before the Age of Wonder. The Skeksis rein over Thra, but there are distant echoes of rebellion. Gelfling and unlikely heroes emerge to champion what is good and just, but their paths to legend started long ago. Epic tales of adventure, magic, and mystery send us back in time to the Age of Resistance to witness the untold histories that forged these protectors of Thra.
Based on a story by The Dark Crystal: Age of Resistance series writers, Will Matthews & Jeffery Addiss, writer Nicole Andelfinger (Lumberjanes) and Matias Basla ( Sparrowhawk ) tell the tale of the mighty Ordon and a young Fara on an impossible quest.
An all-new arc from writer Adam Cesare and artist French Carlomagno spotlighting Hup, the heroic Podling, debuts on January 15, 2020.
Availability: Print copies available at local comic book shops (comicshoplocator.com) or at the BOOM! Studios webstore. Digital copies available from content providers, including comiXology, iBooks, Google Play, and Madefire. Individual issues MSRP $3.99; Ages 12+
More About Netflix Original series, "The Dark Crystal: Age of Resistance"
The Dark Crystal: Age of Resistance is a 10-episode puppet-filled prequel to the 1982 classic film that follows three Gelfling who discover the horrifying secret behind the Skeksis’ power and set out on an epic journey to reignite the fires of rebellion and save their world.
Directed by Louis Leterrier and executive produced by Leterrier, Lisa Henson and Halle Stanford, the series stars an ensemble of fantastical, state-of-the-art characters and creatures created by Jim Henson’s Creature Shop™ and designed by Brian Froud, the original feature’s conceptual designer.
A stellar voice cast including Taron Egerton, Nathalie Emmanuel, Anya Taylor-Joy, Awkwafina, Helena Bonham Carter, Natalie Dormer, Mark Hamill, Lena Heady, Jason Isaacs, Theo James, Toby Jones, Keegan-Michael Key, Gugu Mbatha-Raw, Simon Pegg, Mark Strong, Alicia Vikander, and Benedict Wong.
To learn more about The Dark Crystal, visit -
Facebook - www.facebook.com/darkcrystal
Twitter - www.twitter.com/darkcrystal
Instagram - www.instagram.com/darkcrystalofficial
To learn more about The Jim Henson Company, visit -
Facebook - www.facebook.com/hensoncompany
Twitter - www.twitter.com/hensoncompany
Instagram - www.instagram.com/hensoncompany
ENTER TO WIN THIS GIVEAWAY!
(1) Penguin Random House "The Dark Crystal" 3-book set:
- Heroes of the Resistance: A Guide to the Characters of The Dark Crystal (hardcover)
- Age of Resistance; Aughra’s Wisdom of Thra (hardcover)
- Shadows of the Dark Crystal (paperback)
WAYS TO ENTER:
Entries must be made on or before 11:59 p.m. December 16, 2019.
a Rafflecopter giveaway
TERMS AND CONDITIONS
Winner will be selected by random.org. Giveaway main entry must be completed before extra entries will count. Winner will be contacted by email and must respond within 24 hours or a new winner will be selected. Open to residents of the U.S. with a valid street address.