Review: Southside With You Blu-ray & Apple Pie Recipe #SouthsideWithYou
When I heard that Lionsgate and MIRAMAX were making the film SOUTHSIDE WITH YOU, inspired by President Barack Obama’s first “date” with the First Lady, I thought what a great idea.
Note: I received product sample for review purpose, however any personal views expressed are always 100% my own
Since meeting the Obama’s before and during their time in the White House, we're all nosy wondering how these two met and became a couple.
Come on be honest, you want to know!
Well now you have a chance to find out! SOUTHSIDE WITH YOU is now available on Digital HD, Blu-ray (plus Digital HD), DVD and On Demand.
From executive producer John Legend (Academy Award® winner for Best Original Song, Selma, 2015) and written and directed by Richard Tanne, this “beautiful tribute to enduring love” (RogerEbert.com) received the Rotten Tomatoes Certified Fresh rating, and was nominated for the Grand Jury Prize at the 2016 Sundance Film Festival.
On a summer’s day in 1989, a law associate named Barack Obama (Parker Sawyers) used all his charms to woo attorney Michelle Robinson (Tika Sumpter).
Southside with You brings that magical encounter to life as it follows Barack and Michelle on a day-long date that takes them from an art exhibit to a screening of Do the Right Thing to an unforgettable first kiss.
BLU-RAY/DVD/ DIGITAL HD SPECIAL FEATURES
- Commentary with Writer/Director Richard Tanne
- Original Art and Animations
To celebrate the release, I received a package that included the SOUTHSIDE WITH YOU Blu-ray for review, a pie plate and apple pie recipe. Honestly I wasn't sure what Apple Pie had do with the Obama’s first date. But I was willing to watch to find out. While eating a few slices of pie of course. It's called research!
After watching SOUTHSIDE WITH YOU, I can say it's nothing like I expected. And in a good way. While the first date recap does included some mutual flirting and sweet talking by Barack (brother was smooth!), you get to see the start of the depth in the Obama’s relationship based on how they interact while talking about work, family and future goals.
They even have an argument. Or three. Michelle kept it real about her goals and how Barack needed to respect that. And her.
We get to who Barack and Michelle ARE and what attracted them to each other. It's a real intimate peek at this couple and it's all beautiful. If you are a fan of the Obama’s or just want to learn more about them before being in the White House, then I recommend you watch SOUTHSIDE WITH YOU.
As for the deal with the pie, it's part of a moment that leads to a deep connection for the couple. Ironically, it's not even about the pie. But about finding out what makes a person happy.
Not that it stopped me from having another slice of pie.....
If you like pie as much as I do, here's a recipe!
Southside With You Apple Pie Recipe
- 1 recipe pastry for a 9 inch double crust pie
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup water
- 8 Granny Smith Apples - peeled, cored and sliced
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F (220 degrees C). Melt the butter in a saucepan, stir in flour to form a paste. Add water, white sugar and brown sugar, and bring to a boil. Reduce temperature and let simmer.
- Place the bottom crust in your pan. Fill with apples, mounded slightly, Cover with latticework crust. Gently pour the sugar and butter liquid over the crust. Pour slowly so that it does not run off.
- Bake 15 minutes in the preheated oven. Reduce the temperature to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Continue baking for 35 to 45 minute, until the apples are soft.
To learn more about Southside With You, visit - www.lionsgateathome.com/southside-with-you
On Facebook - www.facebook.com/southsidewithyoumovie
Twitter - www.twitter.com/Southside_Movie