Dr. Sharp Dentistry: 5 Tips for Getting Kids to Brush Regularly
My son is at an age where he can brush his teeth himself. But getting him to do it regularly isn't always easy. But I want to encourage my son to develop good oral habits. There's nothing like a fresh clean smile from a child.
If like me you're looking for ways to encourage your child to brush regularly, then try these tips from Dr. Bruno Sharp, a fourth-generation dentist who created a line of natural fluoride-free products called Dr. Sharp Dentistry, and is celebrating his 10th year as a Natural Oral Care provider.
“It’s important that parents get kids started young with good oral hygiene habits,” explains Dr. Bruno Sharp, “For some families it may seem like a tall task, but it’s one that is important enough to keep working on. Most kids will come around and stick with the habits that they are being taught.”
Parents can start now on helping their child develop good daily brushing habits. Here are tips for helping kids establish good morning oral hygiene habits:
- Teach them why. Discuss the reasons why they need to brush regularly, so they know why they are doing it. You can make this easier and still keep it age-appropriate by picking up some kid’s books about brushing, too.
- Make it fun. When parents make brushing time fun, little kids are more likely to want to participate. Have a brushing song or fun routine that goes along with getting the job done each day.
- Give them rewards. Kids love to get rewards, even if it’s a sticker added to their sticker chart. Once they meet their brushing goals, take them to the store to pick out a book. This will help to keep reinforcing the habit.
- Praise their efforts. Rather than focusing on what they fall short of or miss, stick to keeping it positive and giving kudos for the parts they do well. They can always go back and improve areas missed, but positive reinforcement goes a long way.
- Help and hold accountable. Up until kids are around 8-9 years old, parents may need to keep going into the bathroom with them to ensure proper brushing is being done. While it may seem like a pain, it’s helping them to establish lifelong habits that will benefit them greatly in the long run.
Another issue that parents should be aware of is fluorosis, which is marked by changes in the appearance of the tooth’s enamel. According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), children eight and under are at risk for the condition, because they still have adult teeth under their baby teeth.
Dentists such as Dr. Sharp are warning parents to avoid fluoride for their children because of the potential health risks, as well as fluorosis. Dr. Sharp, recommends that parents avoid fluoridated toothpastes altogether in an effort to remove the risks associated with children ingesting fluoride.
Dr. Sharp Natural Oral Care offers their product line in small, convenient travel size options. His product line includes children’s toothpaste, adult toothpaste, fresh mint mouthwash, and dental tape.
All products are safe to use, made in the USA, are gluten-free, have no artificial colors or flavors, are vegan, non-GMO, alcohol-free, fluoride-free, and cruelty-free. Plus, they help whiten teeth and have xylitol, which is a natural sweetener that also helps to fight off cavities.
To learn more about Dr. Sharp Natural Oral Care products, visit www.drsharpcare.com
Would you like to try Dr. Sharp Natural Oral Care products? Then enter this giveaway.
ENTER TO WIN THIS GIVEAWAY!
- (1) Dr. Sharp Natural Adult toothpaste
- (1) Dr. Sharp Natural Child toothpaste
Entries must be made on or before 11:59 p.m. August 19, 2016.
a Rafflecopter giveaway
TERMS AND CONDITIONS
Winner will be selected by random.org. Giveaway entry must be completed before extra entries will count. Winner will be contacted by email and must respond within 24 hours or a new winner will be selected. Open to residents of the U.S. with a valid street address.