Complexions Contemporary Ballet at Joyce Theater NYC for 21st Season
Complexions Contemporary Ballet, the famed multicultural contemporary ballet company will celebrate its 21st season at New York's Joyce Theater from November 17-29 with three unique programs.
Featuring five premieres, Complexions continues to lead the way with its unprecedented approach to contemporary ballet. At the Joyce Theater, the company will perform
- STRUM, a New York City premiere set to the famous songs of Metallica
- BALLAD UNTO...a work about unrequited love set to Johann Sebastian Bach’s Chromatic Fantasy and Fugue, and Partita #2 - Chaconne
- CRYIN’ TO CRY OUT an excerpt inspired by the legendary voice and lyrics of famed Jazz singer Jimmy Scott.
This season, the company pays tribute to Dr. Maya Angelou in a new work, IMPRINT/MAYA featuring a solo performance by Complexions’ own Desmond Richardson.
Finally, Dwight Rhoden has created CHRONICLE, a full company work composed in two acts.
- Act 1 is a world premiere with a wandering narrative wrought with non-sequential concrete story lines, characters, and images of the violence and unrest both nationally and internationally that we all witness within our day to day life.
- Act 2 is a new production of the 2009 signature work MERCY, which serves as an answer, reaction, elegy or lament to the turmoil of contemporary living in the 21st century.
In addition to these new works, the company will also include various pieces from the company's 20-year history including a re-staging of William Forsythe’s APPROXIMATE SONATA in a pas de deux format.
Detailed information on these works is below.
Tuesday, November 17th - 7:30 PM
Wednesday, November 18th - 7:30 PM
Thursday, November 19th - 7:30 PM
Friday, November 20th - 8:00 PM
Saturday, November 21st - 2:00 PM and 8:00 PM
Sunday, November 22nd - 2:00 PM and 7:30 PM
Tuesday, November 24th - 7:30 PM
Wednesday, November 25th - 7:30 PM
Thursday, November 26th - No Performance on Thanksgiving
Friday, November 27th - 8:00 PM
Saturday, November 28th - 2:00 PM and 8:00 PM
Sunday, November 29th - 2:00 PM and 7:30 PM
Tickets range from $10 to $60 and can be purchased online at JOYCE Ticketing. Tickets can be purchased by phone at 212-242-0800.
The Joyce Theater is located at
175 Eighth Avenue (at the corner of 19th Street)
New York, NY 10011.
For the most up-to-date schedule for all Complexions Contemporary Ballet programming, visit www.complexionsdance.org
On Twitter - www.twitter.com/ComplexionsNYC
On Facebook: www.facebook.com/complexionsdance