5 Tips For A Game Day Party & Chex Mix Snack Bar Recipe #gameday #superbowl
This weekend is NFL Super Bowl XLIX (#49) and I hoped to enjoy a watch party with a few friends. Well in truth, the guys would "watch" while the ladies would "party".
Note: This is a sponsored post. I received a Chex "game day" package and gift card to purchase more ingredients, supplies, etc. However any personal views expressed are always 100% my own.
To help me enjoy this time with friends, the Chex team sent me a great “game day” themed package that included serving bowls, chalkboard coasters, a beverage tub and boxes of Chex cereal. (of course). But sadly timing was not on my side.
We recently had a NYC snow storm that changed the schedule for everyone. So now everyone's plan is to stay home to "watch" and we'll plan a "party" later in the month. February is such an active month that there's lots of other reasons to get together and "party".
But while my "game day" party was delayed, I know many other family and friends are getting ready for this weekend. So I wanted to share these 5 Tips For Your Game Day Party
Chex and DIY & entertaining expert Brit Morin of Brit + Co shares some clever tips for game day entertaining
- Make it your own. Every game day gathering has a unique mix of fans. Make your guests feel like their team is represented by creating custom pennants. With some felt, a wooden stick and a glue gun you can tailor the pennants to your guests’ tastes!
- Half time entertainment. Put on your own halftime show by setting up a game day photo booth, complete with props like footballs, whistles and construction paper goal posts. Guests can goof around no matter how their team is doing.
- Game Day games. You may need to lighten the mood or provide some distractions; football-themed games are a great way to involve all your guests. We recommend sticking with the classic game of charades -- you can act out your favorite players, teams and touchdown dances.
- Mix up your cocktail offering. Instead of stocking up on six packs, offer your guests a ‘beer-tail’. Go with a classic Michelada. Start with a pint glass. Rub a lime wedge along the rim of your glass and dip in equal parts salt and cayenne. Then, combine one lager beer (Tecate recommend) with 1/2 oz fresh lime juice, 3 drops Tabasco sauce, 1 dash Worcestershire sauce and a pinch of black pepper.
- End with a bang. Snacks that your guests can customize are perfect for sports gatherings so everyone has something they love -- no sit down dinner schedule required. For this version of a snack bar, use Original Chex Party Mix as the base. Then pile on ingredients like roasted chickpeas, cheese cubes, salami and fried onions. Put a microwave at the end so guests can heat up their creations.
I really like the idea of customizing snacks, so I plan on making this "Original Chex Party Mix Snack Bar" recipe for my get together later this month.
Original Chex Party Mix Ingredients3 cups Corn Chex cereal
3 cups Rice ChexTM cereal
3 cups Wheat ChexTM cereal
1 cup mixed nuts
1 cup bite-size pretzels
1 cup garlic-flavor bite-size bagel chips or regular-size bagel chips, broken into 1-inch pieces
6 tablespoons butter or margarine
2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
1 1/2 teaspoons seasoned salt
3/4 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon onion powder
Cheese cubes (Pepper jack or Cheddar)
Popcorn (sea salt or cheddar)
Cubed hard salami
French fried onions
Potato Chips (salt & vinegar, chive & onion)
- In large microwavable bowl, mix cereals, nuts, pretzels and bagel chips; set aside. In small microwavable bowl, heat butter uncovered on High about 40 seconds or until melted. Stir in seasonings. Pour over cereal mixture; stir until evenly coated.
- Microwave uncovered on High 5 to 6 minutes, thoroughly stirring every 2 minutes. Spread on paper towels to cool. Store in airtight container.
- To serve, place snack mix in a large bowl and place stir-ins in individual bowls for party guests to customize their own snack mixes.
- Heat oven to 250°F.
- In large bowl, mix cereals, nuts, pretzels and bagel chips; set aside.
- In ungreased large roasting pan, melt butter in oven. Stir in seasonings. Gradually stir in cereal mixture until evenly coated.
- Bake 1 hour, stirring every 15 minutes.
- Spread on paper towels to cool, about 15 minutes. Store in airtight container.
You can find many other recipes on the Chex website - www.chex.com
Keep in touch with Chex on Facebook - www.facebook.com/ChexMix
Planning your own "watch" party this year? The Chex team has generously provided a 2nd “game day” themed package just like the one I received for a giveaway. Enter for a chance to win!
ENTER TO WIN THIS GIVEAWAY!
- (1) Chex “game day” themed package including bowls, a beverage tub, coasters, glasses and tinsel to create your own DIY photo booth.
Entries must be made on or before 11:59 p.m. February 10, 2014.
a Rafflecopter giveaway
Terms and Conditions
Winner will be selected by random.org. Giveaway entry must be completed before extra entries will count. Winner will be contacted by email and must respond within 24 hours or a new winner will be selected. Open to residents of the U.S. with a valid street address.