Now that the leaves are changing colors and the temperatures are more on the chilly side, it’s time to start looking for some recipes that focus on warm yummy comfort foods. Nothing says comfort and yummy like soup! I found this great French Onion Soup with Finlandia Swiss Cheese that perfect for these chilly Fall days.
The recipe comes from Ariane Duarte, Bravo’s Top Chef and owner/executive chef of the award-winning CulinAriane restaurant.
“One of my real secrets is knowing that all cheese is not created equal,” advises Ariane. “Whether I’m choosing ingredients for the restaurant or for my family, quality is my first concern. So when I’m choosing cheese, I prefer Finlandia. Regardless of the cheese type, all Finlandia cheeses are all natural, hormone-free and naturally lactose-free."
French Onion Soup with Finlandia Swiss Cheese
¼ c butter
3 onions, thinly sliced
1 t white sugar
1 T all purpose flour
2 ½ c water
½ red wine
2 (10.5 oz) cans condensed beef broth
1 French baguette, sliced thick
8 oz sliced Finlandia Swiss Cheese
- Melt butter or margarine in a 4 quart saucepan. Stir in sugar. Cook onions over medium heat for 10 minutes or until golden brown.
- Stir in flour until well blended with the onions and pan juices and cook about 5 minutes.
- Add water, wine, and beef broth; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low. Cover and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Cut four thick slices of bread from the loaf. Toast the bread slices until browned and crusty. Reserve the remaining bread to serve with the soup.
- Ladle soup into four oven safe bowls. Place one slice of toasted bread on top of the soup in each bowl.
- Cover top of bowl with Finlandia Cheese slice until it just falls over the edge.
- Place soup bowls on a cookie sheet to avoid spills in the oven.
- Bake at 425 degrees for 10 minutes or just until cheese is melted and golden brown.
Ready to try a recipe using Finlandia Cheese?
ENTER TO WIN THIS GIVEAWAY!
- (3) Finlandia Cheese Coupons, valued at up to $3.99 or 1/4 pound of cheese
WAYS TO ENTER:
Entries must be made on or before 11:59 p.m. October 28, 2013.
a Rafflecopter giveaway
Terms and Conditions
Winner will be selected by random.org. Giveaway entry must be completed before extra entries will count. Winner will be contacted by email and must respond within 24 hours or a new winner will be selected. Open to residents of the U.S. with a valid street address. Company is providing the prize for the giveaway winner. No compensation was received. Any views expressed are always 100% my own.