Keep America Beautiful : “National Day of Action” is April 28
Keep America Beautiful (KAB), the nation’s largest volunteer-based community improvement organization, announced the record-setting goal of recruiting 4 million volunteers to support its Great American Cleanup 2012 initiative.
To support this call-to-action, KAB has declared the first-ever “National Day of Action” on Saturday, April 28 with activities taking place in nearly all 50 states. Special events are planned in 10 state locations. Each of these locations will lead large-scale cleanups and other coordinated events.
In 2011, more than 3.8 million volunteers in 16,500 communities took part in 30,600 Great American Cleanup events. Highlights included:
- Removal of 177 million pounds of litter and debris;
- Cleaning 6,400 miles of rivers, lakes and shorelines; and,
- Planting of 166,000 trees and 1.5 million flowers and bulbs.
- 290+ million plastic bottles;
- 7.9 million pounds of electronics;
- 13.4 million pounds of aluminum and steel;
- 12.1 million pounds of glass; and,
- 807,000 scrap tires.
Want to get involved and see a list of participating organizations, visit http://www.kab.org
If there’s not an organization near you, you can organize your own community improvement project by following specific guidelines provided on the site.